Monday, March 17, 2008

End of the Monarchy

With all the furor last week over Eliot Spitzer’s indiscretions and Geraldine Ferraro’s comments, another piece of news went largely unnoticed by the mainstream media. That was the comment made by Representative Steve King of Iowa who said that if Barack Obama was elected president, there would be “dancing in the streets of the Islamic world” because of his middle name, Hussein.

Would that all of us could be so prescient.

Rep. King should go back and read U.S. history. The country’s founders fought and bled to death to obtain freedom from the domination of European monarchies. The Representative’s last name is a stark reminder of these atrocities, and would encourage monarchist extremists to “dance in the streets all over the world.”

May I recommend asking Rep. King to change his last name, to Freeland perhaps? Other suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

Beyond Words said...

Pithy and brilliant. How many people know what your name means, by the way? :)

G. M. Prabhu said...

I like to think that I have "double indemnity" in the after life. My surname, Prabhu, means "creator; powerful" in Hindi and here I am being spun like a yo-yo on my daughter's pinky finger! My given first name - which the initial "M" stands for - is Madhav - and I am named after my paternal grandfather, like my son, Krishna, who is named after my late father - in our family the eldest son of the eldest son has been given his grandfather's name for a few generations. And both Krishna and Madhav are "avatars" of Lord Vishnu, The Preserver. I can only hope that my parents repented when they disciplined me as a child. I was much nicer to my son - I cursed him in limited Turkish that was taught to me by a former bridge partner until one day he went to play at a Turkish neighbor's house and all hell broke loose when he started blabbering his father's colorful lexicon!